Sunday, November 9, 2008

Persuasive Speech

I have been researching about how I am pro-gay marriage with is a hot topic after Prop 8 passed. I have had many arguments with family members who voted yes on Prop 8 because I have many friends who are gay and deserve equal rights. All of the arguments I hear from people who are against gay marriage have invalid arguments. I have found a ton of newspaper articles and internet sites on my topic, which is mainly how I will support my speech. However I still want to find some textbooks on gay marriage. My main points will be: the problem- which is why are people against gay marriage, and the solution- which is how we can appeal Prop 8 and support gay marriage. I plan on beginning my speech with something funny to get the audience’s attention, but nothing offensive because it is a touchy topic. I plan to end my speech with a quote from one of the gay people I know who I plan to interview. I am going to persuade my audience towards my point of view with statistical evidence of gay people, and proving how this issue is discrimination.

4 comments:

NickW said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
NickW said...

Sounds interesting and controversial. I agree with you that Prop 8 should have passed. All people should have the right to marry anyone they want. I am upset that people would vote against this but that is there right to their opinion and their vote. This subject is a touchy one but I think very appropriate to address in our class room. Your points look solid and backing them up with tons of articles and an interview will be interesting. Persuasion of being pro gay marriage is a tough task to take on but you seem to be doing all the right things to prepare your speech. trying to get people who are against prop 8 to agree with you might irritate a few but put up a good fight. Are you going to be stating all the laws and possibly touching upon civil rights? good luck with the rest of your research and outline. See you in class!

TAgeek said...

I’m so glad that your topic is about pro-gay marriage. It is such an important topic in a time like this. I also have a lot of people are affected by Prop 8 and although most of my gay friends are young and not thinking about marriage, it is still important to know that one day they can. I think the biggest issue with Prop 8 is not necessarily it focusing on marriage for gays, but rather not being allowed to do something because one is gay. I am curious how the rest of the world views Prop 8 as well as same sex marriages because we are not the first or only ones questioning it.

Briana said...

I'm glad you chose to talk about pro-gay marriage. I too have many friends who are gay. And, although none of them are ready to get married at such a young age, many of them WANT that option. I feel, as well as my friends, that they are being treated like less then human's for something they do not have control over. I have also been in A LOT of arguments with friends over the passing of prop 8. My family is catholic and they do not believe that gay marriage is "right" under gay marriage. Many of my christian friends believe this too. And although I respect their decision and choice I can not help but feel that my friends and family who voted for prop 8 did it because they're scared of gay marriage.

Sigh.

I can't wait for your speech!!!!