Saturday, November 8, 2008

Flickr

Some of the comments on Flickr regarding sexist language suggest banning the use of derogatory words. It’s interesting how the first respondent “Dancing Deer” confessed that she does not care how people regard her including tags like girl, broad, chick, woman, hey you, and lady. The text shows examples of how (in speeches especially) we should use gender-neutral words, like saying humankind instead of mankind. I think it just depends on how sensitive a person is and how they perceive the meaning of certain words. I personally would not take offense to someone calling me a freshman/chairman/etc because I know it is not intended to be offensive and with equal rights between men and women, I just I’m just passed that stage. However, I do also know that some people may be offended, so in formal speeches especially it is best to just avoid those words. One of the last comments on Flickr stood out to me. It read: If you aren't seeking out things to get annoyed about, you'll find life a lot less annoying. I completely agree with her! People always take things the wrong way when it’s not necessarily a HUGE issue (unless it’s intentional of course).

No comments: