Thursday, November 6, 2008

Chapter 10

The section in Chapter 10 about spoken versus written language was very interesting. I always wondered why we shouldn’t memorize our speeches. This section explains why memorized speeches may be heavy and hard to follow. Audiences prefer an extemporaneous delivery method which is more conversational and engaging. It also explains how it is good to be redundant while saying a speech so the audience recalls your main points. In written language, readers can simply reread the information over again so redundancy is not necessary. This section also reiterated how engaging storytelling can be, and how too many facts and statistics during a speech loses the audiences attention. I have never compared the specific differences between spoken and written language, so I found this section very appealing.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah this reading was very interesting, even though I did not really understand what it was talking about since they use short words.But those words are not very offensive to me. I do not know if they are offensive to others? but I just thought one little part of the blog was offensive. The part were one person says that they are not offended by the B word. I felt like if someone called me that name, I would be greatly offended. It is one word known throughout this society that every women knows, and women know what it stands for and what it means, so they get offended. Using the other generalized words are not offensive like girl, boy.

Theta said...

i always wondered the same thing about memorizing our speeches, but the reading in conjunction with the speech buddy videos showed me that i need to be flexible when giving speeches, and memorizing hinders that flexibility and can create awkward pauses in your speech when you are trying to get back on track.