Saturday, November 22, 2008

Chapter 15

The section in Chapter 15 that was the most helpful to me was the section that explains the type of appeals. I heard of the terms logos, ethos, pathos, and mythos before, but I could not tell you off hand exactly what they meant. This section made me clearly understand what each type of appeal is specifically used for. For my speech on same-sex marriage, I need to use all of the types of appeals in order to support my topic and have sufficient evidence. I need to use personal stories (pathos) of friends that I know that are gay as evidence that my view is the best. I also need to use religion or history (mythos) to tune into the audiences personal cultural beliefs. Since I have a touchy topic, these types of evidence will help develop my view into a good, strong argument.

No comments: