Thursday, September 11, 2008

Research Interviews

I enjoy doing research interviews, especially interesting topics. I do not have much experience conducting interviews; however I do recall a couple. I did a project in a past communication class and interviewed a handful of people to ask them about nonverbal cues and communication. Then I observed and compared a “ghetto” group of friends that lived in San Francisco to a preppy group of friends that lived in Woodside. I always enjoy learning and conducting this type of Sociology, as I am a Sociology major. The project went well because although I worked with one other person, most of the work was individual. I knew two types of groups and people who had very different cultures, so it was convenient to interview and study them. Performing the actual interviews was pretty easy to me because I had a list of questions in front of me, it didn’t need to be rehearsed, and I recorded the conversation, so there wasn’t much effort needed. The only improvements I can think of is asking questions that require more detailed answers. When dealing with more advanced research and more complex interviews, I’m sure complications may arise because you have to make sure you cover each gray area so your findings are not vague or incorrect.

No comments: