Friday, October 10, 2008

Facts and Statistics

I always like to use facts and statistics in my speeches. It is a good way to show the audience how it is currently affecting the world. However, when looking up statistics, it is important to use reliable sources with valid information. Statistics can vary with every experiment, in every survey and can have completely different results depending on location and population. You can use statistics with almost any topic or issue. For example, my teacher in my Prison Community class uses statistics almost every class period because it makes information easier to understand. Just last class, she explained that one in every 32 adults are currently incarcerated, and one in every 8 black men are incarcerated. My professor uses Powerpoint so it is easy to read and comprehend the information. If she gave too many statistics, this would be confusing and the main points will not get across to the students. So its better to state only the most essential points. It is effective to use facts when trying to explain a subject in detail. For example, for my demonstration speech, I used facts when I stated how many calories were in the foods I was using. However, I gave too many facts, so this was a problem too. You just need to manage the uses of facts and statistics throughout your speech for them to be effective.

1 comment:

Persian said...

I totally agree with you. I think statistics are great to use in a presentation, but a lot of times people aren't using reliable sources for the information. I think its important to use reliable sources so you get valid information, and not present something that may not be true. I also liked how you used your class as an example to show to use facts and statistics.